Midnight Nutella Brownies with Berry Coulis

09:20

After a long period of stressful timings including exams and dissertation, it was all over for me and my friends. It was the best time to give us all a break. We've planned this relaxing stay in movie night event and to make it extra special I've bought wine and ordered desserts through deliveroo and I specify that the treats should arrive at around 11:15pm because that's when my friends are arriving. I was getting quite anxious that it was approaching midnight and the desserts weren't arriving, even though my friends were not here yet. I called the restaurant and to my surprise that deliveroo decided to shut early and no drivers from deliveroo are willing to pick up the desserts that has ALREADY BEEN MADE! So my order has been cancelled and I complained to my housemates and I saw a jar of his nutella lying around the floor in his room and a bright light pop up to my head. Let's not let deliveroo spoil our evening so why not make a fancy dessert instead!!



Midnight Nutella Brownies:

  • 90g of soft unsalted butter
  • 100g of granulated sugar
  • 2 large eggs
  • few drops of vanilla extract
  • 350g of Nutella
  • a sprinkle of salt
  • 95g of flour
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C and line the bottom and the sides of a 8 inch baking tin with some parchment paper
2. Beat the 90g of butter up until it is smooth and creamy and then added in the 100g of granulated sugar and continue beating it until it is creamed. 
3. Mix in the 2 large eggs and add in the vanilla extract and then mix it well until it is fully combined. After it is combined, add in the 350g of nutella and seasalt into the mixture and incorporate the mixture together until it is smooth and fluffy.
4. Slowly add in the 95g of all-purpose flour into the mixture. Fold the flour into the mixture, this adds air into the mixture making the cake more fluffy. Do not over-mix, otherwise air would be lost from the batter.
5. Pour in the batter into the pre-prepare tin and even out the mixture.. Bake the brownies for 30 minutes and keep an eye on them to see if they are done by using a toothpick to test the middle. If there are no crumbs stuck to the toothpick, the cake is done.

Berry Coulis:
  • A handful of your favourite berries
  • 4 tablespoons of water
  • 2 tablespoons of sugar
1. Whilst the brownies are baking in the oven, chop up your favourite berries to 0.5cm. In this case I used strawberry and raspberry.
2. Heat up the pan and add in 4 tablespoons of water and add in the chopped up berries. Use a wooden spoon and break up the berries whilst it is in the pan
3. Add in the 2 tablespoons of sugar into the berries, if it is not sweet enough, add more sugar.
4. Leave the mixture aside and if you want blend the berries mixture together.

After baking the brownies in the oven, leave it to cool for awhile. To serve the brownies, cut a slice of brownie and top it up with more nutella on top, add in a few more berries and scoop up your favourite ice-cream and pour warm delicious berry courlis on top to finalise a wonderful dessert for a relaxing evening.

This recipe is great for an sudden craven, or a special evening treat as the preparation time and baking time is under an hour. I finished everything by 1a.m. even though I start making the cake at midnight and I manage to surprise my friends that we've got a special treat that night despite me telling them that the desserts we order were not arriving. 



You Might Also Like

0 comments

Instagram