Nutrition Graduation 2017

09:25


Hi Everybody,

My name is Chonny or Alfred (for those who don't know), and on the 12th July 2017 I've graduated from the University of Nottingham with a Nutrition degree. As a day to celebrate and remember, I woke up early in the morning, showered, styled my hair and put on a nice suit that I recently bought from "Next". I walked out of the dressing room and see my family all dressed up neatly for this occasion. It was once in a lifetime, a day to celebrate your achievement and give thanks to everyone who helped you to fulfill this achievement.


As my dad was driving to the University, I felt nervous as I don't know how the day would be and how I would feel graduating. It just feels surreal. Whilst my family was waiting to park the car, I arrived at the graduation dressing room, an assistant put on my graduation gown and an academic cap. I felt emotional that I would be leaving Nottingham with a 2.1 in Nutrition with a Certificate of European Studies. This doesn't seem believable at first which was 4 years ago. I took some time out before the ceremony begin to take some fresh air and some pictures with my friends; capturing the last pieces of memory in the University of Nottingham.

  
                                   

The time has come, the celebration was about to begin. As I was walking across the sports hall with my friends and entering the graduation ceremony hall, my mind reflected back to 4 years ago when I was a shy teenager leaving home for the first time wondering if I will adapt to this new college environment. Due to my shy nature, my brother predicted that my university life would be a blunder and I would crumble apart and be a loner where I fail to make friends, struggle in academically, and I would end up locking myself in my dorm and eventually become a university dropout. I was determined to not let it happen, although I did not get the best of grades but I improved year by year academically and at the end I manage to get the grades that I'm satisfied with by putting in the late night efforts. I wasn't extremely popular either and I sometimes doubt whether I have any friends, but I managed to form true friendship that I hope will last for many years even though we are separated apart between cities, countries and even continents. These 4 years has been a rewarding experience and I've learnt a lot, the way I love, believe and trust myself and it is from people who actually care about who I am as a person.


The next thing I noticed, I was sat down in the graduation hall. There is a big speech on how we should celebrate our achievement and how we should start our careers and move into the adult world and still connect to the people you share this journey with. "Connect to the people you share this journey with", the phrase sent a signal to my brain. It reminded me that this is probably the last time I will see a lot of my friends that I've made during the last few years and that kind of upsets me. The future will never be the same again like the ones you have during the university days. I guess that's why people say enjoy your time during university because that is going to be the best time of your life.


The moment has arrived. I among the others walked across the graduation hall, preparing to walk across the stage to claim our prize, the prize that we've all work hard to achieved for the last 3 or 4 years. Hundred pair of eyes were staring at us, "us" the fresh graduates about to enter the society as working professionals. Loud applause pierce through my ears and all I could think of was not to embarrass myself and trip on stage. I was beside the stage and waited for my name to be announced and I proudly walked across the stage, soaking into the applause and received my certificate with both my hands. I've done it! I am a university bachelor graduate and my heart felt warm with pride.


Who do I thank? Most importantly I thank my parent who are always by my side and wants me to Skype them every week, although they sometimes don't understand me but they always try to guide me to the right path. My elder brother? I guess so, he is annoying most of the time but he sometimes throws some wise words. My friends, the wise ones, the lazy ones, the quiet ones, the party animals, the silly ones, and much more... I can't thank them enough for making the person I am today and creating wonderful memories for the last few years. If I were to make a list of their names it would probably be endless, but you've all touched my heart.


As the ceremony comes to an end, I took and returned my cap and gown off, gave one final thanks, congratulate and goodbye to my friends. One final last walk around the campus as I stepped into my family's car and this concluded my 4 years at the University of Nottingham. It was definitely a bittersweet moment to end this wonderful journey. To all the friends I met, I wish you the best of luck in the future and one day may our path come across each other again, what would our lives be then. But for now, it is goodbye but never say forever, who knows what would happen in the future?


If you like my stories please continue to follow my blog where I will post about my travel experience, food recipes, my life adventures and nutrition and health related post. Follow me on instagram: @chonalfie. Thank you very much for reading :D Goodbye!

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Instagram